Think Over It !!

Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.
Dennis P. Kimbro

Monday, April 2, 2012

the earth hour !

While observing earth hour on 31st, something I came across -
You must treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It is loaned to you by your children.  (which is a Kikuyu (Kenya) Saying )
in a restaurant in Haldwani, a town in Uttrakhand during our recent trip to the Himalayas kept coming again and again to my mind.
Now one does not need to have super intelligence to make sense out of it. But still the way we live and treat the earth is anything but anywhere near this sentiment.  In fact the more I think about it more worried I am for what we are going to leave for our children.  Generally it is our very selfish and narrow attitude towards life that makes us live in this manner. But for me the same attitude of selfishness forces to think what I am leaving for my child. Is bringing him up with good education,  providing him with comforts in life, all I need to do for him? I do not think so. I would like my child to live in a world, where love and trust is not only confined to small circles of family and friends  but to all the inhabitants of the planet, earth . I would like to leave this world with natural resources-forests, water,oil etc. for them.
Fortunately or unfortunately(depends upon what you think, former for me) we  have to live our lives with a much more broader outlook in order to make the world/planet a better place or even leave it the way we got it.  If I think about what all needs to be done I just get overwhelmed by enormity of the task and feel helpless and depressed. But I have decided to do whatever I can do in my capacity and I believe anything or everything will change when all of us take this attitude and am sure there are many others who feel the same.  I shall save water, electricity, trees, gas, petrol to whatever extent I can  and I hope you all will. Let us try to leave a better place for our children.  So  let us observe many more undeclared earth hours to save our natural resources.

No comments: